Annotated Bibliography Guidelines: Social Media
Assignment at a glance:
- Choose a minimum of three social media platforms relevant to your field of study or inquiry question (use, for example, a specific Facebook page, blog, or Twitter account.)
- Assess sources based on CRAAP validity checklist with goal to inform an audience with similar interests
- Provide annotations of two paragraphs in length for each entry.
- Cite using APA, MLA, or Chicago-style depending on your major.
Content for Annotations:
The goal of this section of your annotated bibliography will be to show how organizations use specific social media platforms. (For example: report on how the National Endowment for the Humanities uses Twitter.) Each annotation will be in two parts.
Part I will answer the following three questions:
- Who is communicating with whom (practitioner with practitioner, professional organization with practitioners, novice with expert, etc.)?
- What information are they communicating (news, topics of concern, best practices, resources, etc.)?
- Why are they communicating (for what purpose: problem-solving, networking, information-sharing, etc.)?
Part II: Evaluate the social communication medium’s credibility and your assessment of its relevance and usefulness for someone at your stage of academic and professional development. How well does it meet the criteria on our validity checklist? Would you recommend it? If you determine that the communication medium is credible, but not relevant for someone at your stage of academic and professional development, who would you recommend it for?
Format for Bibliographic Entries:
Citation guidelines for social media sources are normally for specific communications, such as an individual Twitter handle or Facebook page. For the purposes of your annotated bibliography in CRIT 602, include enough information in each bibliographic entry that your readers will know what the social media platform is and how to access it.
Example: Facebook Page for the American Psychological Association
American Psychological Association on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/AmericanPsychologicalAssociation
Example: Twitter Feed for the APA Style Blog
APA Style Blog Twitter Feed, https://twitter.com/APA_Style
Transferable Skills Development: Make sure that your summary of information is in your own words!