After you have completed this unit you should be able to:
- Define diversity and identify factors that define a diverse group
- Differentiate between surface diversity and deep diversity, and explain what relationships exist between the two
- Explore the positive effects of diversity in an educational setting
- Define accessibility, and identify implications of accessibility on campus and in communities
- Demonstrate an understanding of diverse interpretations of globalization
- Identify the opportunities and benefits of globalization and the ways these can affect the mission and work of the university
- Articulate what it means to be a globally competent learner
- Define cultural competence
- Articulate the role of universities in shaping globally competent learners
- Elaborate on the uneven, unintended, and complex relationship of globalization on education and education systems
Licenses and Attributions
CC licensed content, Original:
College Success. Authored by: Linda Bruce. Located at: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-collegesuccess-lumen1/chapter/socializing/ and https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-collegesuccess-lumen1/chapter/diversity-and-accessibility/ License: CC BY: Attribution.
Burke, Monica G.; Keaster, Ric; Norman, Hideko; and Pereira, Nielson, “Global Pathways: Cultural Competence Curriculum Module” (2014). Counseling & Student Affairs Faculty Publications. Paper 71. https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/csa_fac_pub/71 License: CC BY: Attribution.